Monday, June 13, 2016

Garner, North Carolina: June 13

How has everyone been? I hope you are all enjoying your summer vacation! This week has been good. Things are definitely beginning to pick up here in Garner.

This week we met with our investigator Daisju. A couple of weeks ago I felt like we needed to drop her, but we decided to hang on to her for a week or two more. This past week, we committed her to live the Word of Wisdom and she said she would. A couple days later we went to check on her and she was still doing good. That night she called us crying and asked if we could go over. So we went over and she was going through a really hard time and wanted to smoke, but she remembered to call us if she felt like smoking. Anyways, we were able to have a member come and give her a blessing. It was amazing! At the end she took her last cigarette and broke it into pieces!! It was an amazing experience. Since then, there has really been a different feeling about her and in her home because the spirit is able to be there more. This week, we also got trapped at a members house because some construction workers hit a gas line and the police blocked off the exit to their cul-de-sac.....it was quite an adventure!

Something that I have learned this week is about changing our own circumstances and not relying on the Lord to change them. I was reading an article about the enabling power of the Atonement from Elder Bednar and he was talking about different people from The Book of Mormon who had to overcome really difficult challenges. During those challenges, they never asked Heavenly Father to take those challenges from them, but they asked Him to help them to change the circumstances or to help them respond in a better way. Some examples were Nephi and the people of Alma. My favorite is the people of Alma, "To the faithful followers of Alma, who were struggling with heavy persecution from the wicked priest Amulon, the Lord declared, “I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, … that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.” In fulfillment of that wonderful promise, “the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord” (Mosiah 24:14, 15)" This was something that I really needed to hear this week! Life is not easy! It was never meant to be easy!! However, through the enabling power of the Atonement, we are able to bare the challenges of life!! I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have the Atonement. I don't know what I would do on my mission without the Atonement. Missionary work is the hardest thing that I have ever done, but it has been 100% worth it!! Without the enabling power of the Atonement, I would not be able to bare the challenges that I have faced and will face on my mission. I highly suggest reading Elder Bednar's article! I know that the enabling power of the Atonement is real!! I have felt it. Even though the challenges I face have not been taken away, I have felt the burden lift as I pray and ask my Heavenly Father to give me that strength! This week, I hope that you will all come to feel of the enabling power of the Atonement. Constantly be asking for Heavenly Father's help and forgiveness!!

This gospel is truly amazing!! I am so grateful for this time that I have to be sharing it!! I know that this Church is the one and only true church on the earth!! I am so grateful for the Atonement and the Priesthood Authority that we have on the earth today!!

I love you all so much!! I hope that you continue to have a great summer!! Thank you for all of the prayers!! They are definitely needed! :) I continue to pray for all of you as well!! Love you!!

Love,
Sister Paynter


No comments:

Post a Comment